Fort lies just outside the village of Hillsborough in County Down,
Northern Ireland. Built in 1650 by Sir Arthur Hill, whose family gave
their name to the village. The fort was used as a Royal Fortress by
King Charles II. Hillsborough Castle, close to the centre of the village
was the seat of the former governors of Northern Ireland and is the
official residence of the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland.