dates from the Thirteenth century and grew rapidly as a trading town.
In the 14th and 15th Centuries many attempts were made to invade it
by the French. In 1403 some 600 houses were burnt in one incursion.
Walls were built around the town in the 15th Century and the line
of the dockside buildings here reflects those walls, even though they
were removed in the 18th Century.